Wednesday, September 3, 2008

In the beginning....

There was a girl who had a fear of writing. She would avoid writing and taking English Comp classes at all costs. Until one day she realized there was no getting around it.

So hear I am back in college at the age of 25. I got away with not taking any English classes my freshman year, but my luck ran out in the start of my second year. A little older, and a little wiser, I'm trying to do my best to keep the nerves calm. During this class it seems that at least one essay will be due per week. The first essay dealt with my writing evolution. It was so hard trying to describe my technique, or lack there of. I got to tell the teacher, like she wouldn't find out soon enough, that I have zero writing capabilities. I like style, organization, and the ability to include excessive amounts of details.

My main purpose for starting this blog is to get myself used to writing. Hopefully the more I do, the less nervous I'll be when an assignment is given. The second essay we are to write is a contrast of the two texts we were to purchase. In it we are to pick our favorite book and list the points we like most, for instance, layout, material, colors, lists, graphs, and advice. After reading the assigned pages, I picked The Little, Brown Compact Handbook. At first glance, I know it will hold my attention. They use font colors, such as blue, black, green, and red, along with bold testing to differentiate between the sections. There are also things like clustering maps, tree diagrams, and pie graphs. These kinds of things will definitely hold my attention longer than a basic font with normal paragraphs and zero pictures. There are also bulleted questions that you should ask yourself when you're starting your writing process. "Who are my readers? What do the readers already know and not know about my subject?"

So now that I told you a little about my assignment, I'm going to put an end to my procrastination and get to work. Maybe I'll post the finished essay after I'm done.... ooorrr maybe not! (The book says that the more you write, the more confidence you'll get in what you're writing. Here's hoping it's right!)

Until next time.....

No comments: