Tuesday, May 22, 2012

I Have a Thing & Puppy Sleepovers

After twenty-ni twenty-something years of life I've found my "thing". I've never really had the coordination or fearlessness to play a contact sport. My natural reaction when a ball flies at my face is to duck or run the other way while screeching like a girl. Not really a good thing.
With 2 races under my belt, I've realized, with a little help, that running may be my thing. This excites me because I never though I'd find something in the sports area that I'd be semi-good at. I say semi because I was told my time wasn't that great. However, the person that said this gets winded getting off the couch. I took it with a grain of salt ;)
It never occurred to me that I may have a competitive bone in my body, but when I'm out there it feels spectacular weaving in and out of the slow-pokes and pushing ahead. Maybe one day I'll actually beat them all. Not likely, but a good dream anyway. It is always a plus to be rewarded with wine/beer at the end of a race. The race I just signed up for is the Philly Beer Run. Nothing like a frosty brew at the end of a run!

Goals:
My longest race so far has been a 5k. Eventually I would like to work my up to a 10k and even a 10 miler. I'll leave the Half to my Runner Sister. The last race's mile time according to the race records was a 9:06; my device said 8:58. I'll stick with that number and aim to beat it next time.
Problems:
Bunching shorts and wedgies.

Now that it's getting warmer out I'll be wearing my fitted shorts. I always seem to have a problem with them riding up the middle. Anyone have any solutions? I was told to try BodyGlide Anti Chafe-Balm. So far my thighs haven't ignited any fires, I just want the shorts to stay where they're supposed to be.

After Saturday's race, Lulu, her friend Miley, who was spending the weekend, and I all cuddled up and took a lovely 3 hour nap. #expertcuddlers Afterwards, we spent a little time outside- me throwing the ball for Lulu while Miley chilled on my lap. On Sunday we went to watch Papi/Uncle Danny's soccer game, where they also met up with friend Hamlet.
Here are just a few pics from the weekend :)

They liked to watch me do my  hair & makeup


Gal pals

Enjoying the view

Lulu, go get the ball. I'll stay here.

2 comments:

Janet said...

I can remember your high school track coach being very upset when you decided not to continue running. He said you were fast! I have no doubt you'll do great. So glad you aren't getting shin splints now. Try the loose running shorts instead of the bike/compression shorts.
Looked like fun having 2 doggies. :)

Jacki said...

*sigh* they still ride up...I'll just buy some glue.